Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What Has Become of Your Life? (#50 - #56)


It’s habits that can imprison you and it’s habits that can free you and when thanks to God becomes a habit, so joy in God becomes your life.

- Ann VosKamp
I made this crazy commitment to write.  I am not "a writer."  I'm a  home-school Momma of four in love with Jesus. I search desperate for Truth and sin miserable in this life.  But God called me to write.  So I made this commitment - to the Lord, to myself, to the four silly souls who might someday read what their Momma really thought about during those years of child crazy and family frenzy.

I began a new habit.  Not only to practice the art of writing, but to practice the art of holiness - a setting apart. By setting apart time to share this journey with you.  A journey like the Israelites of old: freed from slavery, brought to the promised land, and turned back because of unbelief.  I'm not saying I don't believe.  I do believe.  I am merely saying, "help my unbelief."

As I head to my promised land, I, like the Israelites of old, doubt God's love.  Although I am free, I still think like a slave.  And as I stare at my Jericho, I wonder how I'm ever going to cross this Jordan - this raging river poised to whisk me down...and out.

So I began this new habit of holiness - setting apart time to publicly thank God for the present of His presence.  I walk through my wilderness exposed, challenged by New York Times' best selling author Ann VosKamp, to write down one-thousand ways joy in God has now become my life.  To compose one-thousand notes of grateful thanks.  To re-collect one-thousand of His gifts into a heaping pile of remembrance..on the other side of my Jordan.

I know.  I know.  At this rate (one post a week) I'll be at this until mid-December 2014!  But by then her challenge will surely become my habit.   With faithfulness, joy in God will undoubtedly become my life.  

Rejoice with me over seven more Good and Perfect Gifts for August, 2012?

50. Gift white - Color of little boy's laundry after inaugural spin in new washing machine (shocking!)
51. Gift eaten - dinner for six where all rejoice and  six plates are swept clean
52. Gift at 10AM -Evidence of answered prayer, "Lord, do whatever it takes to help this child see his need of a Savior."  Hard Eucharisteo.
53. Gift sitting - Me. Here. One hour of solitude despite dinner dishes and bedtime routines.  Ahhh the bliss.
54. Gift upside down - Jack.  Hanging high from his feet above Daddy's head
55. Gift in water - Flower bouquet secretly tucked into grocery bag
56. Gift in His Word - Realizing this: "Blessed is He who is not offended because of Me" (Luke 7:23) really means, "Blessed is He who forgives because of Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...